Reports to: Underwriting Manager
Location: Berkley Southeast Insurance Group - Lawrenceville, GA
Within delegated authority levels, evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for commercial risks. Partners with agents to manage a challenging and/or complex book of commercial business or agency relationships. Demonstrates complex decision-making with little or no supervision, recommending quality exceptions where appropriate to maximize profitability and meet business plans. Supports marketing activities to agents and actively participates in the agency management process. Serves as a mentor providing technical support, training, and problem solving for other underwriters. Responsible for working with and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and Company information.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzes commercial lines accounts to make decisions based on individual risk characteristics, exposure analysis, hazard recognition and control. Utilizes underwriting guidelines to ensure compliance with state regulations. Within delegated authority levels, accepts, rejects or modifies new and/or renewal business to ensure a profitable book of business.
- Prices business according to Company underwriting and pricing guidelines. Assists less experienced underwriters in the handling of high hazard or more complex accounts. Ability to use creativity and underwriting knowledge to write risks and retain business.
- Partners with Territory Managers to support marketing activities by developing ongoing relationships with agents to discuss market appetite, quality and profitability of submissions, service standards, and underwriting and/or product changes. Communicates with agents on underwriting issues including decisions on cancellations, declinations, exposure concerns, and survey results.
- Partners with Territory Managers to identify issues or patterns and works to resolve or improve them; participates in agency planning and review processes; and may identify sales and marketing opportunities. Takes a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Travels, with or without Territory Manager, to assigned agent locations to develop agency partnerships.
- Trains and educates agency staff on Company products, services, processes, and underwriting philosophy.
- Assists in training and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters as needed.
- Attend industry workshops/meetings each year.
- Performs other Duties as assigned
- Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of five years commercial lines underwriting experience, including but not limited to CGL, Property, Packages, BOP, Auto, Crime, IM, Umbrella and/or WC.
- CPCU Designation or other equivalent coursework preferred.
- Good organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize.
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products and contract knowledge including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states.
- Demonstrated depth in negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with multi-faceted systems.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage complex workload while exhibiting very sound judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments and must also exemplify superior teamwork.
Applying for a Position
To apply for any current openings, please send your résumé and a cover letter that identifies the job and location. Your cover letter also should explain why you are interested in the position and tell us anything not in your résumé that will help us better understand your qualifications.
Berkley Southeast Insurance Group Human Resources
- Applying for Position Email — email@example.com
- Position Inquiries — BSIGHumanResources@berkleysig.com
- FAX – 866-360-1715