Reports to: AVP, Casualty Claims
Location: Berkley Southeast Insurance Group Headquarters in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
Principal Objectives of Position
In conjunction with the AVP, Casualty Claims, develop quality, service and personal performance goals for the litigation and large loss unit. Participate in setting corporate and departmental goals and objectives. Ensure standards are met on a consistent basis. Provide technical direction, advice and/or training to litigation team members in support of departmental goals and objectives. Position also provides administrative oversight as well as technical guidance and direction to the Litigation Specialist claim professionals on a portfolio of commercial claims covering a large volume of complexity and high exposure.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities:
- Provide technical oversight and guidance on litigated and/or large loss claim files.
- Conduct and share with management in-depth analyses relative to file quality, and legal expenses.
- Conduct law firm audits at least annually.
- Develop and execute management protocol which includes communication with our approved law firms to ensure compliance with our litigation best practices and billing requirements. Coordinate with AVP, Casualty Claims.
- Develop, execute and support existing expense management programs aimed at reducing overall expenses while maintaining file quality and integrity.
- Coordinate with our regional sister companies to develop a litigation committee to allow for sharing of ideas and knowledge around our litigation procedures and results (quality & expense management).
- Assist in developing and training staff in managing litigated cases.
- Impact litigation pending through various initiatives aimed at reducing and or maintaining current litigation pending.
- Directly supervise employees in the Litigation & Large Loss unit. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Communicate legal trends and news to the Litigation and Large Loss Claims team and BSIG stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 4-year college degree and 10 or more years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Must have prior management experience.
- Advanced degree, Juris Doctor, and/or industry designation(s) desired.
- Proven ability to identify and manage employees handling complex coverage issues, completing investigations to determine exposure, setting timely reserves and developing detailed action plans.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent negotiation, time management, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of tort and contract law.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of legal billing software, claim systems, spreadsheet and word processing software applications.
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently
Applying for a Position
To apply for any current openings, please send your résumé and a cover letter that identifies the job and location. Your cover letter also should explain why you are interested in the position and tell us anything not in your résumé that will help us better understand your qualifications.
Berkley Southeast Insurance Group Human Resources