Location: Berkley Southeast Insurance Group . Charlotte, NC
Principal Objectives of Position
As Underwriting Manager, efficiently manages underwriting territory by successfully leading, training and directing the underwriters to assure the Company initiatives for profitability, production goals and new product development are being accomplished.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities:
- Supervises underwriting staff. Hire, train and mentor underwriters. Conduct performance and salary reviews.
- Conducts quality reviews and assists home office quality review team as needed.
- Assigns underwriters to agencies, and assigns staff to underwriting teams.
- Monitors the unit’s performance in regard to growth, loss ratio and pricing. Takes corrective action as needed.
- Maintains positive agency relationships through agency visits to articulate BSIG’s underwriting philosophy and to resolve any Agency underwriting issues.
- Contributes to BSIG’s success by developing departmental and individual staff goals; measure results, rewarding achievements or taking corrective action, as necessary.
- Assists in development and maintains effective and efficient regional underwriting and processing procedures in accordance with established guidelines and objectives.
- Assists in training and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters as needed.
- Attends industry workshops/meetings each year to keep abreast of industry developments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of seven years commercial lines underwriting experience, including but not limited to Commercial General Liability, Property, Packages, Auto, Crime, Inland Marine, Umbrella and/or Workers Compensation.
- Minimum of two years of previous supervisory experience preferred.
- C P C U Designation or other equivalent coursework preferred.
- Good organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize.
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products, reinsurance and contract knowledge including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states.
- Demonstrated depth in negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience with workflow and processing procedures with well-developed analytical, decision making, organization, communication and leadership skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with multi-faceted systems.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage complex workload while exhibiting very sound judgment.
- Demonstrated experience with hiring, training, team building, mentoring and performance management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments and must also exemplify superior teamwork.
Applying for a Position
To apply for any current openings, please send your résumé and a cover letter that identifies the job and location. Your cover letter also should explain why you are interested in the position and tell us anything not in your résumé that will help us better understand your qualifications.
Berkley Southeast Insurance Group Human Resources